• Advertisement

Asymmetrical Mounting Pattern- what do you think?

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Asymmetrical Mounting Pattern- what do you think?

Postby brandon_o » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:51 am

I have a pair of skis someone gave me that have been drilled twice, once for AT bindings and once for 22 Designs Hammerhead. As you can see it looks like some of the holes may be asymmetrical. What are your thoughts? Throw a 22 Designs binding on and call it a day? Try to redrill? Make a bench out of them? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-02-15_10 (1).jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-15_10 (1).jpg (156.44 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
Screenshot_2015-02-15_10.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-15_10.jpg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
brandon_o

Re: Asymmetrical Mounting Pattern- what do you think?

Postby Go Fish » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 am

As long as the holes are filled carefully with epoxy, there is no problem re-drilling skis multiple times. I've got a pair of Volkl SL skis that have been drilled 4 times. Typically I use boat building epoxy (for water resistance) thickened with colloidal silica (for toughness) but I'm a belt and suspenders sort of guy.

Challenges can arise when new holes wind up overlapping with old holes. A drill press comes in handy. With the ski clamped, you can poke a hole in a filled/not filled location if you start it with a machinist's center drill. If you try to do it with just a twist drill there is a good chance that the bit will walk because of the different material densities.
Go Fish

Re: Asymmetrical Mounting Pattern- what do you think?

Postby brandon_o » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you very much. I am concerned about overlapping given that I'll be using a binding with the same bolt pattern. I'm thinking that perhaps I'll go with a different tele binding that won't overlap any of the holes therefore avoiding overlapping altogether. Fortunately the mounting patter for the AT bingings (Marker Duke) seem to be symmetrical so perhaps I'll go that route although I really wanted to tele these. Again, thank you very much for your advice.
brandon_o

Return to The Gear Shop