• Advertisement

Rossi BC 125 Mount Point

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Rossi BC 125 Mount Point

Postby atcairn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 pm

I went to my trusty TTips to find the great BC 125 thread to find its no more...

Need to mount some red BC 125's with my just purchased Burnt Mountain NT Spikes. Chord center and balance point are within a half centimeter. BOF on CRS puts pins just ahead, 1-2 cm of balance point. Balance point is directly in the middle of the fish scales. Rocker isn't really much if at all.

I'm thinking of mounting 1.5 ahead of balance point for my 28.5 mondo Shivers. I will probably be adding a 29.0 T2Eco to the mix.

Would love to hear from some folks who have mounted these what they think of my logic.

This will be a 100% BC ski/binding combo.

Any help is appreciated.

Jay
atcairn

Re: Rossi BC 125 Mount Point

Postby Dirk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm

If the skis are marked with a boot sole center line, I'd just go with that. If the skis have any rocker at all, I'd think using center of running surface might be pretty hinky. Forget about balance point for anything other than pure Nordic applications.
Dirk

Postby atcairn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Dirk, thanks for your comments. I agree for a rockered ski using boot center to boot center is key (I run Legend 85's for my resort ski and have them mounted this way).

I think this ski should be mounted old school (ie Pinnah's website) using CC or BP due to the non existent rocker. Adding a few cm forward of the balance point would compensate for the long boot sole length. Mounting too far forward would ruin its downhill performance and muck with the "wax pocket" (camber/fishcale) performance uphill. Its all a compromise. Boot center to the BP just looks...forward.

I've emailed Rossi in UT to see if they have any recommendations.
Last edited by atcairn on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
atcairn

Postby dschane » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 am

Two years ago, Rossi told me:

"Mount the pins on the balance point. The line is a general reference but find the true balance point before mounting."

I agree, it seemed a bit too far back, but the owner of the skis went with Rossi's recommendation. Needless to say, I haven't seen those skis since and can't say how it all turned out.
dschane

Postby atcairn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:57 am

I cut and pasted my original post into an email to Rossi. The North American rep's reply: "Sounds good to me".
atcairn

Postby dschane » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:54 pm

I think there are threads sill out there about where folks are mounting them, so it might be worth Googling around more. FWIW, I wouldn't put pins on the balance point for the reasons Dirk mentioned. If BF/CRS is forward of that and forward of chord center, I'd go with that for no reliable reason except to say the line on the ski for balance point seems back and the ski has some rise in the tip.
dschane

Postby raisin'heel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm

I have my older (orange) supposedly softer flexing (of two flexes offered then), lesser rockered BC125's mtd. (sz. 165cm) 2+1/2" ahead of bal. pt. and 2+ 13/16" ahead of cd. ctr. and they ski GREAT for me. That's pin line @ 34+13/32", sz. 10 / 316mm heel to pin boot on 64" chord length ski (larger boot, fractionally further forward; smaller...back) and they are super responsive and float well tho the stiff camber does hinder some compared to rockered Voile' Vector.......(see Vector comments) ...I have a formula I use relating boot length to contact points &/or wide points of base of ski that seems to work for me and I've seen agreement from ski builder Eric Feldborg who recommends "ball of foot on ctr. of running length of ski". Rocker does add some complexity to this and I'm still working on that but I'd still tend to go forward some! In this case I feel the position on these skis is more balanced and centered and also better positioned over the climbing scales which is another weakness in my model BC125's with excessive camber that makes climbing contact for grip challenging (I'm 144lbs. or so). I'm a believer in standing upright and weighting heels for best climbing effiency, however in reality I lean forward when struggling by instinct and not sure how that pans out, but the majority of the pattern is still ahead of the toe of binding. The Vector's climb significantly better and I understand the new (red) BC125's have reduced the camber, but I doubt I'd change mounting position! Unfortunately I have not compared side by side my brother's BC125's, mounted standard @ Ragged Mtn. Equipment to see the actual difference in this particular model which I am reinspired to actually do....soon. I do have a much heavier friend (175lbs+) who skis BC125's like mine only 175cm and he also (tho somewhat a novice) "complains" of lack of traction (mtd. standard). In general the skis do perform, glide and manuver great tho! Skiing mine with a "customized" wedge effect BD Pitbull 2 binding (excellant feel!) but I have Switchback tour bindings on the Vector's and have to recommend that as a great combo for extended mountain tours including skinning!!!
raisin'heel

Postby lucylee378 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:43 pm

I think this ski should be mounted old school (ie Pinnah's website) using CC or BP due to the non existent rocker. Adding a few cm forward of the balance point would compensate for the long boot sole length. Mounting too far forward would ruin its downhill performance and muck with the "wax pocket" (camber/fishcale) performance uphill. Its all a compromise. Boot center to the BP just looks...forward.

Postby rongon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Boot center to the BP just looks...forward.

Yeah, I'll bet! Shouldn't that be 'pins on BP'?

I can't imagine putting the boot center point on the balance point of the ski. That would be way too far forward.
rongon

Return to The Gear Shop