• Advertisement

Switchback X2s on 108mm Waist?

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Switchback X2s on 108mm Waist?

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Hey All,

Anyone running X2s on this size ski & using it inbounds a fair bit? Gonna mount some Rossi Soul 7s this year - they'll be my good conditions go to ski. Lots of inbounds & sidecountry, but want to tour them some too. Not uppy/downy stuff like Bolton (got Vectors/X2s for that), but bigger stuff, side country, out west occasionally, etc. I ski HHs on the fatter & skinnier ends of the spectrum and have toured them quite a bit; definitely my preference for inbounds only. The X2s are my 1st touring binding(last year) & I prefer 'em to touring on HHs. I'm leaning toward X2s over Axls to keep the rig lighter.

Thoughts? All insights appreciated!
Barry

Re: Switchback X2s on 108mm Waist?

Postby dschane » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I have the original Switchbacks on 106mm waist skis (and tried them for the first time today -- it was great; we had 35" of fresh snow, so it was mostly trees and lower angle stuff). I don't see why you'd have a problem; the X2 is a fairly active binding (though you didn't say where you like HH setting). If you're comfortable skiing the X2, you should be fine on the 108mm ski depending on . . . what boots are using? I'd say something more than T4's or Excursions would be important. Beyond that, it's about preferences and differences of opinion.

I understand the theory that the wider ski requires a beefier boot (which arguably requires a more active binding to flex the bellows). The first premise is also subject to some debate. Regardless, the X2 is active enough for stiffy boots.

And if you want to have your cake and eat it too, throw in some Binding Freedom inserts and you can swap between bindings.
dschane

Re: Switchback X2s on 108mm Waist?

Postby Barry » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for the input D. I ski HHs @ 4 generally. Have done 3 w/reversed heel throw (on the up) for touring, or even 1 for the up on long (like out west) tours. Have mostly used T1s, but got some T2s last year. I'll ski the Souls mainly w/T1s IB, likely the T2s for tours.

The inserts are a cool idea . . . don't really want to buy 2 bindings for this ski, but I guess I've got a spare set of HHs I could use. If the inserts were set for the X2s, and an adapter plate for HHs - IB, the extra weight would be no problem. Hmmm….the weakest link is me, I like to tinker a little, do my own mounting, tuning etc.; but I can be lazy about it sometimes :roll:
Barry

Return to The Gear Shop