• Advertisement

Volkl Racetiger SL with Hammerheads

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Volkl Racetiger SL with Hammerheads

Postby Go Fish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40 am

If you are an East Coast or mid-western lift serve telemarker, sell whatever tele-specific skis that you have for that purpose and buy an angry pair of alpine race skis.

What we are talking about here are a used pair of Volkl Racetiger slallom skis that had their alpine binding mounting holes filled with epoxy before they were adorned with Hammerhead bindings. These sleds were new 2 or 3 seasons ago...I don't know for sure.

You ask the skis to turn, they say, OK. You ask again, they say OK. Each time they are tipped on edge they bite, hold and rocket you through an arc that only stops digging trenches if your leggs can't handle it. This is repeated, faster and faster, until you realize you can not ask too much of the skis and you begin to realize you're really not really a good skier...but it doesn't matter because you are sticking to the snow in ways that you may have not thought possible while dropping a knee.

The edge hold of these Volkl's is unbelievable but they are extremely finicky. If you stop paying attention to your form they will blast out of behaving well and pound you. When they are skidding and out of control they are looking for something to bite into and if they do when you are not aware they will drop you.

Tonight was the first time I rode thes skis and I fell a lot becaust the skis gave me the confidence to push my limits. I have not had this much fun on snow in a long time.

They hate anything loose. Tonight was a mix of loose granular and boiler plate. Riding the boiler plate was a dream. These skis can't float in loose stuff at all and I was lifting off grip in the granular because my boots provided too much flotaation.

This is not a "Quiver of One" ski but it is a boat load of fun on the scratchy stuff.
Go Fish

Postby Nurse Ben » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Nothing like a good pair of slalom skis to make a scratchy slope into a carving rink. I'm on my third pair of carvers, love em, they go everywhere with me, even out West they get lots of slope time because they are just so fun to carve. I have some Blizzards with the moveable binding plate :D
Nurse Ben

Postby Biff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:05 am

I've joined! Just got a pair of racetiger GS skis. Put some HH's on them. Rrrrrrroar!!! What I really like is the narrow waist under foot. It's so nice to feel that qucik edge to edge again. You really lose that with the fatties.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Ski widths are like hemlines, or neckties. Everyone went fatter and fatter and forgot what real carving was like. Remember our old TM-18s? Not quite race stock, but a blast to carve trenches with. Yet now they gather dust...
Dirk

Postby Biff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Dirk wrote:Ski widths are like hemlines, or neckties. Everyone went fatter and fatter and forgot what real carving was like. Remember our old TM-18s? Not quite race stock, but a blast to carve trenches with. Yet now they gather dust...

Yea, I miss those TM-18's. I beat the crap out of two pair and never could find anything to compare after that. These actually come pretty close. They don't turn as tight but they carve like bastards... and 67 under foot!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 am

I've got a pair of TM20s (190cm) down in the basement rafters, but I'd much rather rail on some 165cm RaceTigers, anyday.

Oh and I'm not sure that it's an issue of what's chic or hot, but the thin and icy snowpack for much of this season has made a ski like the Volkl the tool of choice.
Grant

Postby OnEdge » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 pm

I have a pair of Stockli SLs mounted with HHs. They are a blast on firm days. I even did some runs in the course with my son's J5 race team. They are not my everyday ski, not even for lift-served, but on firm days or days I want to rip, they are a lot of fun.
OnEdge

Re: Volkl Racetiger SL with Hammerheads

Postby Grant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

Oh and make sure you've got a good solid mount on them. I've got a photo around here somewhere of what looks to be an avalanche roaring down East Meadow at Bromley during Kare's annual race when I pulled a Superloop out of my RaceTiger and skidded off course for a few hundred yards throwing snow everywhere! :shock:
Grant

Postby Breck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

I got 160cm Race Tiger SLs with Hammer Heads and they are awesome on the hard stuff. First time in my life I would actively go for blue ice knowing it was where the most fun was. Awful in slop/deep as noted.

I was very self conscious about buying them but a thread on telemark talk convinced me otherwise. Made me a better skier and introduced me to the strength limit of my quads as opposed to the endurance limit that I was well aware of.
I have also done GS skis and they are less fun but it may be the particular ski (silver Nordica Doberman) that is responsible for the lack of fun--it has a reputation for being difficult.

Just thought I would endorse a great suggestion.

Breck
Breck

Postby donski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Race skis are a blast in the east. At the advice of others I bought some 158cm SL race skis a few years ago and they rule on hard pack. When people first saw them they asked if they were my wife's skis and I got lots of jokes. All jokes stopped when they saw how well they ski. A line of 12 meter carved turns is way fun.

K2 Moto SL 159cm + a really still binding rules!
donski

Postby Flip 2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 pm

I'll chime in on the Race Skis subject. I recently got some 167cm 2003 K2 Mach SLs… their Slalom ski of the time. They are great on the hard stuff; slide your turns, carve your turns…"whatever Dude" they seem to say.
They will accelerate really quick when you put them on edge and point down hill…Yes! However, they don't seem to have the gobble you up personality they mention with the Volkls. Just throw in some quick parallel turns, when your eyes get too wide. :D
If you live in the East, this is definitely one way to approach our default ski conditions. Just have something else for those days when there is lots of loose snow.
Flip 2

Return to The Gear Shop