• Advertisement

Voile Vector

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Voile Vector

Postby freedan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:47 am

Is this a tele or alpine ski: Mounted tele
Length: 180cm
Tip width: 121
Waist: 96
Tail: 110
Weight in this length: 7lbs
Boots used: Garmont EnerGs
Bindings used: Voile Switchbacks
How many days on the skis: 5
Resort or backcountry: BC
Geographical region: ADKS
Tell us about the terrain you ski: Slides, streambeds, woods
Do you know how the skis were tuned (bevel): Factory spec
How long have you been skiing: 35years, 21 tele
How many days a year: 50
Previous ski that you liked: Voile Asylum, original Karhu Jak, Karhu BC 100, BD Verdict
Previous ski you did not like: DPS Wailer 95
How big are you: 5'10, 160lbs
Mostly tele or parallel: whatever works with backcountry conditions

Comments:
I mounted these up and at first the rockered tip was a bit weird coming from traditional skis. The point of contact is quite a bit farther back than any previous ski. However, they ski well even in hardpack conditions and hold an edge. I have never had a problem with tip dive and I can't see these ever submarining on me with the tip rise. I chose the Vectors over the Charger as they weigh a bit less and I have a fat powder ski when conditions warrant. I have done some long tours with big vertical and the Vectors never feel heavy. Very tourable. The raised tail is useful for falling leaf technique down steep hiking trails that are no wider than the ski. They feel stable at speed, even with the tips not in contact with snow. They aren't stable like Verdicts but certainly more stable at speed and better at skiing crud than the DPS Wailer 95s. I bought these primarily as a long tour, firm conditions, spring conditions, touring ski and have been very happy with them. I installed inserts and I mounted them with Switchbacks on boot center line moving the mount back a bit so closer to ball of foot on the boot center line marked on ski. Might put another set of inserts in a bit more forward just to see how they ski and have a firm and powder binding mount. Great skis should be my touring go to for several seasons.

Added after a couple powder days:
Two more days, one a storm day at a ski area beginning with a few inches on hardpack and getting over a foot during course of day. Deep drifts and windblown spots, the Vectors worked great. They hold an edge really well and float in powder. Day two was deep snow in the bc and they were just plain fun. The hybrid design makes these skis very versatile hardpack to powder.
freedan

Re: Voile Vector

Postby Nurse Ben » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 am

Hey Dan, are these the BC version with scales?

I'm thinking about getting a set of scaled fatties for big days, hut trips, etc...
Nurse Ben

Postby Skooled » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 am

I took my new 180 BC's to Sunday River yesterday. So much fun. We were charging pretty hard and I was impressed by how well they handled at high speeds. I'm mostly a resort skier and my normal boards are significantly heavier so these felt extremely lightweight (in a good way).

Did one ill-advised run in the trees... aside from the ground cover still one big storm away the skis performed great. Unfortunately, the trees had a foot of light powder over ice and ground... run quickly became focused on minimalzing damage.

They were extremely slow on anything low angle. To be expected, but cat walks and flatter sections near lifts were a bit of a hassle... my group was usually waiting for me. Once going, I hardly noticed the scales on anything as steep as the average blue square.

Anyway... I'm really excited about these skis. I plan on keeping them in my truck... easy access to random excursions.
Skooled

Postby JohnC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:19 am

The Vector sounds great for the East. I just got a pair of 180's, but not sure about keeping them.
Anyone know how they'd work in deep powder for a 6'0", 200lb skier?
I want them to skim the surface like sliding snowshoes, not sink too much. All BC, no resort.
Hoping the rocker would keep them on top a bit for low angle speed and avoid hitting what's under the snow.

They're not as big as I expected and they feel softer than my other skis.
Probably great for most conditions and snaking around trees, but the size may have me sinking more than I'd like.
Thinking about exchanging them for Chargers, mostly based on flyingcow's review. But a 300lb goon can shove any ski around :)
Maybe they're too stiff for a 200lb slacker? No high speed for me, and don't want to muscle stiff skis around at slow speed.
Other Charger reviews (although from 150-160lb'ers) state they're not good for tight trees, but better for high speed open slopes.

trying to replace Asylum and Ski Trab Freeride... something in between.
The Voile V8 might be a good choice.

just thinking out loud... any advice is welcome.
JohnC

Postby Biff » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am

John, I don't know if this helps but I have a pair of Vectors and also a pair of BD Justice. I find that on soft powder days, a foot or less, I go to the Vectors. But if it get's really deep or chopped up... the heavier Justice are the boards I go to. The Vectors certainly float and they are very turny (great in the trees) and they also don't do badly on the hardpack (the Justice suck on hardpack). They are also a great BC ski... light, floaty and turny. But if you are really looking for a powder only fat ski... I'd go with those Chargers. Either way I think Voile just makes some great powder skis.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby JohnC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm

The Vectors seem like they'd be very practical and versatile.
Undoubtedly quite fun touring for turns in the eastern woods.

The old Asylums might remain as the deep powder skis for now.
Chargers might be getting into the range of my G3 Manhattans.

thanks for the info...

Gaspe/Chic-Chocs, Quebec is where I ski mostly.
JohnC

Postby Dirk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

John, I demo'd a pair of Vectors on a long spring tour last year, and liked them so much I will be buying a pair this fall. It's the only rockered ski I've been on though, so I can't compare it to the Charger. I mostly ski tight woods, so I value turnability over high-speed stability.
Dirk

Postby JohnC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:06 pm

How much do you guys weigh? length of skis used?

Sounds like they're worth keeping. The size seems small, but knowing how long rockered tips gain speed quickly, they might be just right.

The only other rockered tip skis I've used are the Manhattan, 139/108/128... stiff, stable, good for high speed GS style. Weight forward, driving the tips, they're ok for slower, tight turns as well. Which means more effort, staying alert and making all the right moves or they'll take off on their own, skipping across the high spots aiming for trees. More fun in the open areas for me.
If the Chargers feel anything like that, then the Vector is what I want. :)
JohnC

Postby Brenda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:47 am

JohnC, my SO and I both own the Vectors and love them. Based on what we ski, I'd say for your weight, the 180 is fine. I'm on the 170s, and I'm not a small woman. I've never noticed the skis bogging down, and we had some really nice days in the BC last winter. My SO weighs more than you do, and he's been very happy on his 180s (although admittedly, he's usually on his snowboard in powder). We had a day in heavy powder, and a friend commented about how much faster I was skiing--these skis really float.

Also agree with the other comments--love the weight on the climb up!
Brenda

Postby JohnC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:33 pm

That sounds great, thanks.
So the appeal is they're easy to ski, lightweight, versatile to handle a variety of conditions.... hard to go wrong.
I'm guessing it doesn't take too much boot/binding to control them.

Bring on the snow!
JohnC

Postby yardsale » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Another (proxy) vote for the Vectors. My wife has been skiing 90 % bc with them for two years now and loves them. *80% of her turns are parallel. Matched with Hammerheads and T-2s
yardsale

Postby Dirk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm

The local shop just put this year's Vector BC out on the rack. DAMN they look sweet! I'm gonna have to hold a bake sale or something. Or sell my wife's jewelry. Maybe she won't notice.
Dirk

Postby raisin'heel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 pm

My 160cm Vector BC's are the best ski I own for my favorite BC Hills/ Mountains, this would be the ski I'd keep if I could have only one pair (but I have many and many brands/types). I am 61 years 5' 8", 144lbs. and have been skiing tele 30+ years but am no charger, more a mellow technician w/o real talent? Anyway I normally ski Excursion Boots and love things like S. Baldface, Rumford Whitecap and occasionally venture into Gulf of Slides or Hillmans or Monroe Bk. but more comfortable on Mt. Hale. These skis float and turn dreamy in pow mtd. 1"(oops; +7/8") ahead and will hold an edge, grip and iniatiate/float better than Rossi BC 125's, (which I also own and am totally impressed with until Vectors) with their excessive camber (LESS so new model), non-rockered tip (also modified, I'm told, new model) and lite duty metal edge. My new pair of non-BC Vectors are at boot ctr.(oops; +3/8") and I've not used them enough to report difference.....I also have 154cm Chargers (not BC) also mtd. 1" foward and find them, if anything, even better in the fluff for both float, responsiveness (turny) and efficient speed to facilitate float and turns. The 154 Chargers seem to have an easier flex than the 160 Vectors....Just had a great day @ Burnt Meadow Mt. in the trees and 8" pow w/ Chargers, but the BC Vectors are my go to for the unknown! That helpful little grip is often still needed after ripping skins!! Wish Voile' would BC the shorter Chargers!!! Also very happy with Switchback touring bindings on all of these (X2's on new waxable Vectors).
raisin'heel

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:38 am

I just did a series of yo-yo's at my camp in Arrowsic in ten inches of blower atop a foot of consolidated with a small layer of ice atop that and then another foot of mystery snow under that. The Vectors just go and turn over all of it. (Have I said how much I love rockered skis?) BUT... man I wish I had those BC Vectors because the runs were short and all that skin on/skin off just wore me out...

How well do the BC's climb? Will they work on moderate switchbacks?
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 am

Biff, the Vector BC's climb as well or better than any patterned tele ski I've used. The pattern is pretty long relative to the running length of the ski. All that rocker means that when you weight the ski, you're mostly weighting pattern, not glide zone. Still and all, you can't set nearly as steep a track as you can with skins. But it's noticeably better than the negative pattern on a Rebound/Outtabound, and I'd say a bit better than a Guide/Annum. I believe the extruded base material is the same as Karhu/Madshus use - there's just more of it.

Go on, buy a pair, you big lug.
Dirk

Next

Return to The Gear Shop